Re: [802SEC] Final version of IEEE and 802 Brand Identificationpresentation

Hi Geoff,
The IEEE in its cataloging (catalogs, inventory systems, etc.) and
marketing communications has been referencing draft standards using "IEEE"
before the "P" and number for quite some time. We try to be consistent when
referring to draft standards by (1) using the "P" before the number and/or
(2) calling them "standards projects" or "draft standards" under
development--to help reduce confusion between projects/drafts and approved
standards.

 We have been preceding the draft designation with "IEEE"--for example as
in IEEE P123.4--to acknowledge that the standards project is an IEEE
standards project (to brand the project as an IEEE project) and to begin
the association between the standard number and IEEE. We do not, however,
append a date/year to the project number--since a project and not yet
approved by the IEEE-SA Standards Board.

Sorry for all the confusion. You bring to the forefront the need to
document branding conventions and have them readily available so we're "all
on the same page."

As for "when did this all start"--many years ago (late '80s/you have me
digging into my 15 year history at the IEEE)  when it was decided to "drop"
the ANSI from our standards "names" (used to say/write things such as
IEEE/ANSI 1234 or ANSI/IEEE 1234) and to develop strong brand recognition
for IEEE standards. There was a perception out in the marketplace that ANSI
developed our standards and folks were calling our standards ANSI
standards. The ANSI accreditation is important and we recognize it, but
just not in the branded standards designation used in communications.

Thanks--and keep the questions coming (no "branding stone" shall go
unturned).

Karen

Karen McCabe
Senior Marketing Manager, IEEE Standards
445 Hoes Lane, PO Box 1331
Piscataway NJ 08855 USA
PH: +1 732 562 3824
email: k.mccabe@ieee.org
http://standards.ieee.org

                    Geoff Thompson
                    <gthompso@nortelnet       To:     k.mccabe@ieee.org
                    works.com>                cc:     stds-802-sec@ieee.org, k.rupp@ieee.org,
                                               j.longman@ieee.org
                    07/18/2003 02:31 PM       Subject:     Re: [802SEC] Final version of IEEE
                                               and 802 Brand  Identification presentation

Karen-

About your presentation...

On slide 4, last bullet
Where it says:
         When referring to a draft standard, have "IEEE" precede its number

(IEEE P802.11F & )

My understanding has always been that one SHOULD NOT do this, i.e.
         Standards should be referred to as "IEEE 802.3af" or "IEEE Std
802.3af"
         Drafts should be referred to as "P802.3af" or "P802.3af/D4.1"

What is correct?
When did it change?
Who decides this stuff anyway?

Geoff