RE: [802SEC] idea on new rules for membership in startup WGs

Pat,

>Roger, from what you have below, it looks like people could get
>voting rights at (3). At that point, there are attendees who have
>satisfied the minimum requirement of having attended one interim and
>one plenary when the next plenary starts.

I guess I wasn't clear enough about Step (1).  The WG does not meet
in Step (1). Step (1) is the EC vote, at the closing EC meeting, to
create the WG. Step (3) is the first WG Plenary Session. At the start
of Step (3), no one would have WG Plenary participation under their
belts, so no one would become a member.

>Therefore, I don't understand why your normal sequence assumes the
>first memberhips are attained at (5) rather than (3). Also, the
>third (or perhaps fourth because there often will be an interim
>meeting before plenary #0) is a reasonable time for people to expect
>the group to have a formal membership established.

I think we agree. My proposal has people gaining membership at the
start of (5); this is the fourth session and the second plenary.

>Also, please consider whether something needs to be said about
>quorum for the interims before voting membership is established.
>Maybe it doesn't as we have been allowing interims already before
>the initial working group plenary, but we do have a quorum
>requirement for Working Group interims in our rules and it isn't at
>all clear what the meaning is of a quorum when you have no members.

Good point. There are various ways to do this. However, we never
worry about quorum in a Study Group. And, as you have said, we have
never worried about quorum at the first WG interim, where there are
no members. And we never worry about quorum at a plenary. So, my
preference would be to follow precedent and not stipulate quorum at a
second interim either.

Roger