RE: Re: [802.1] TGi use of OUI 00-00-00

owner-stds-802-1@majordomo.ieee.org
<mailto:owner-stds-802-1@majordomo.ieee.org> writes:

> I agree with DVJ that 00-00-00 should not be used (without Xerox's
> permission, has anyone tried to get this?). Since it appears that
> preliminary equipment has been shipped with another OUI in the field,
> chnage the text to expalin that 00-00-00 is not an OUI but a
> something else appears to be a flagrant attempt to downgrade Xeroz's
> OUI. That can't stand.
>
> I object to DVJ's objection (1), wearing all my hats - IEEE member,
> RAC member, 802.1 interworking task group chair. I disagree that all
> public code points derived from the OUI need to be EUI-48 or longer.
> To demand that TGi change the length of this field is simply
> unnecessary torture.

Why not use the SMI Network Management Private Enterprise Codes
(http://www.iana.org/assignments/enterprise-numbers) the usage of which
(in RADIUS & L2TP) this field is modeled after?  They are (or can be) 24
bits long, are unique & easily obtainable, and 0 is reserved for special
usage...

> Mick

Hope this helps,

~gwz

safety deserve neither..."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless
they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
-- Voltaire