RE: [802SEC] RE: Florida Tax on LANs
why there's NO state income tax in Florida...tourists pay for everything...Its a
great state to live in!
is absurd. I've pinged my folks at the theme parks (who pay huge taxes and
account for a good deal of Florida's revenue) about it.
politicians could think something like this up...
accounting nightmare. Do you have to count the structured wiring as part of
network cost? What part of a laptop cost is allocated to the LAN cost? What
about DTE powered guitars and all those network attached lights and such at
Disney World? The rules that would have to be generated are
If a letter was
going to be sent, it would be reasonable to point out that "cost of a
network" especially for LANs is not a defined thing and there would be much
more than a financial burden placed on businesses to comply. Such a rule
could have a chilling effect on businesses at a time when they are already
Now maybe a tax
on credit cards would make people think before got a bunch and ran up debts
they can't handle. Only problem is now the IRS lets you charge the taxes
(for a fee).
Sounds good to me.
discriminatory tax still be under consideration by the state of Florida
when we convene in November, I would be happy to 2nd a motion to cancel
scheduled 802 meetings in Florida and to send an appropriate advisory
letter with copies to the Florida state chamber of commerce, the governor
and the officers of the legislature.
Buzz, please advise of the
(No, I do not want to spend March at DFW or in
BTW speaking of taxes, when I was in Ireland I was
told by our landlady at a B&B that the Irish government taxes citizens
40 Euros/year for each credit card they hold.
05:01 PM 10/8/2003 -0700, Grow, Bob wrote:
When I saw this I though fantastic, an
alternative to a mariachi band. The seemingly obligatory mariachi
band in Albuquerque is for me almost as bad as the hotel room
As long as I am dumping on
meeting locations, please note the following relevant to March/Florida,
how about an 802 led boycott of Florida?
High Speed LANs Newsletter, 09/02/03
The state of Florida is mulling a rule that could
result in taxation of computer networks - both WAN and
The rule is taking businesses by surprise, according
to a story in the Orlando Business Journal:
article says the state would tax networks 9.17%, and local districts
could add their own tax to it. What exactly would be taxed? Either the
lease payments or annual depreciation of network equipment, according to
From: Rigsbee, Everett O [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 4:32 PM
Cc: Grow, Bob; email@example.com;
firstname.lastname@example.org; 802 Exec
Subject: RE: Music at the
Geoff, Does this mean we need to find a WiFi
guitar to present a balanced program ???
Anyone for WiFi mariachi's ???
Dr. Everett O.
Boeing - SSG
PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM
(425) 865-2443 Fx: (425)
- -----Original Message-----
- From: Geoff Thompson [mailto:email@example.com]
- Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 4:20 PM
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cc: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org;
email@example.com; Rigsbee, Everett O; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Music at the Albuquerque Social
- Enjoyed talking at lunch today.
- Thanks a lot for your offer to provide live music and a demo of
the Gibson Ethernet Guitar at the 802 Social.
- The folks to actually discuss the offer with are the meeting and
therefore the Social planners who are:
- Dawn C. Slykhouse, IEEE 802 Conference Organizer
- Email: email@example.com
- Face To Face Events, Inc.
- 2699 Iversen Court
- Santa Clara, CA. 95051
- Tel: 408/241-8906
- Fax: 408/241-8918
- Dr. Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
- Executive Secretary, IEEE 802
- C/o Boeing - SSG
- PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM
- Seattle, WA 98124-2207
- (425) 865-2443 Fx: (425) 865-6721
- Dawn is the professional meeting planner who actually runs the
plenaries. She is local.
- Buzz is the Executive secretary of IEEE 802 and overseeing
meeting arrangements is his job.
- I'm not just sure how they divide up duties on planning for the
entertainment at the social, but I suggest that you call Dawn as a
first point of contact.
- I hope to see you again soon,
- Best regards,
- | Geoffrey O.
- | Vice Chair, IEEE
- | Nortel Networks, Inc. M/S: P79/06/B04 |
- | 4655 Great America
- | P. O. Box
- | Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185
- | Phone: +1 408 495
- | Fax: +1 408 495
- | E-Mail:
- | Please see the IEEE 802 web page at |
- | http://www.ieee802.org/