From: Stevenson, Carl R (Carl) [mailto:carlstevenson@agere.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 3:26 AM
To: Jack.Pardee@innov8rs.biz; stds-802-15-tg3a@ieee.org; stds-802.15@ieee.org; stds-802-sec@ieee.org
Subject: RE: <802.15.3a> ITU said to endorse Motorola-XtremeSpectrum UWB proposal

I hate to be blunt, but I was at the ITU-R TG-1/8 meeting in Geneva
the week before last, and the story below is pure fiction, and I am
being EXTREMELY polite and diplomatic in my choice of terminology.

The fact of the matter is that there is a LOT of "push-back" against
UWB in the ITU-R, with virtually ALL of the services with allocations
and entitlement to protection from interference from UWB and who
would be overlaid by UWB (as well as a number of Administrations)
presenting papers that show that the current limits for UWB are rather
grossly inadequate to provide the degree of protection to which they are
entitled (in many cases by the ITU Radio Regulations or existing ITU-R
Recommendations).

Once again, I find this sort of posturing in the trade press in an effort to
"make hay" in the 802.15.3a process to be reprehensible.

Carl R. Stevenson
Chair, IEEE 802.18 Radio Regulatory Technical Advisory Group
610-965-8799 (home office)
610-712-3217 (fax mailbox)
610-570-6168 (cellphone)
Short Message Service: 6105706168@voicestream.net