[802SEC] +++EC Motion+++ Rules Change Ballot on Roll Call Votes

Dear EC Members,

as per the motion at the November Plenary closing
EC meeting I am starting a (35 day)  ballot on
the proposed rule change. I am extending the ballot
to account for the upcoming US Thanksgiving holiday
(and yes Canada has such a holiday - its just a month
earlier).

I will be running a face to face comment resolution session
during the January Interim Session to try to finalize
the language. I believe sunday night is the best time
to hold such a meeting, but I am open to other suggestions.

The language you will find enclosed is different (and
I believe improved) from what was shown at the EC meeting.

1) It attempts to provide better sentence structure
(less of a run-on sentence).
2) It addresses an issue brought up to me personally
by one of the 2 dissenting voters to the rules change
motion in terms of insuring that roll call votes cannot
be used as a delaying tactic.

Personally, I have only seen roll call votes used in dot17
sparingly and they have in fact helped me determine when a group
was attempting to block concensus / progress. As such, there
has never been an issue with their use as a delay tactic,
but I do have sympathy for such a concern.

cheers,

mike
--
Michael Takefman              tak@cisco.com
Distinguished Engineer,       Cisco Systems

802.0-RollCall_P&P_Revision_Balloted_r2.doc

802_RollCall_P&P.pdf