From: owner-stds-802-sec@listserv.ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-802-sec@listserv.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Bob O'Hara
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 10:55 AM
To: STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802SEC] +++EC Email Ballot+++ Allocation of Funds for the Acquisition of Wireless Access Points for Plenary Meeting Network Support

Buzz,

If that is true, then our service provider needs to learn a bit more about wireless.  The Cisco APs are among the "hottest" (highest transmit power) APs available.  This is not compatible with a high density environment.  In a high density environment, the need is for APs to be closer together and operating at lower power, to increase the overall capacity of the entire WLAN.  If the transmit power is high and the APs are placed close together, the APs wind up interfering with each other and reducing the overall capacity of the WLAN.  The more APs you put into the WLAN, the lower the capacity gained by each AP.

 -Bob