Re: [802SEC] Comments on Disbanding 802.4

Title:
Paul,

I very much appreciate the commentary.  I will share this with others on the EC reflector as I find it interesting from a historical and philosophical view point.  I did not participate in the EC back at the time where 802.4 was placed in Hibernation.  Clearly there was a lot of politics involved, that I don't care to comment on since I wasn't there.  However, you bring up a lot of philosophical issues regarding the definition of a WG.

Many people seem to take the view of "One MAC" per working group.  Some groups clearly enhance their MAC to the point where it could be argued that it constitutes multiple MACs, or chose to have multiple MACs out right I believe.  I fancy myself a purist.  I think it is all a question of scope.  I would argue that each time a WG goes to the EC and SA with a PAR, they modify their scope.  If that scope modification is allowed (and the WG stays within it's scope) then everything is legal.  I don't think the question of multiple MAC's etc should come into play.

I do think the concept of a WG requires clarification.  Today, WG come into existence based on a single PAR.  People (or at least myself at times) often think of that first PAR as somehow defining the scope of the WG.  But clearly that is not really the case (at least I know of no rules that require it).  A sponsor on the other hand must have a defined scope.  If a PAR does not fit within that scope, it should be taken else where (though I suppose a Sponsor could chose to change it's scope with approval of appropriate authorities).  In the 'old days' my impression is that every new PAR tended to be a new WG, so there was a close alignment between the scope of a PAR, and the scope of the WG.  I don't see that to be the case any more.  For IEEE 802, some of our WG do reach such a large size and scope that they in effect act as mini-sponsors.  A new PAR could be some narrow subset of existing scope (based on the union of all previous PAR scopes for that WG), or could perhaps be adding new scope to the WG.

When the time comes to develop a set of P&P specifically for setting up WG I think one of the requirements I will suggest is that the WG itself define a scope independent of but wholly containing whatever PAR initiates it, and that this scope be separately approved by the EC.  This may in part address the concerns you express, though I don't think it goes all the way.  Right now, we do not approve WG scope (or even their P&P though I sometimes review them).  Anyway, I think there might be some value to requiring WG to have an approved scope that is independent of the PARs they write.  I'm certainly open to other thoughts though.

Unfortunately concerning disbanding of 802.4 it is my opinion that they HAVE completed their work.  Once all standards are withdrawn, there is no longer a formal need to maintain a core of experts.  Without that need there is no need to continue the WG.  I agree that informal use of a standard continues, but pretty much by definition, IEEE is no longer committed to supporting the WG's standards since they chose to withdraw them.    Once all its standards are withdrawn the WG has complete its work.  At least that is my opinion.  I offer my apologies for voting against you, but my appreciation and thanks for sharing your thoughts which I very much enjoyed.

Hope to see you in person some day down the road.

Best Regards,

Mat

Matthew Sherman, PhD
Senior Member Technical Staff