From: owner-stds-802-sec@ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-802-sec@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Bob O'Hara
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 18:51
To: STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Plenaries outside N.A.

Buzz,

Consensus is what I am trying to demonstrate by this motion.  If it fails, there is no consensus.  If it passes, well, that tells us that there is consensus.  From the discussion on this topic, both in the 802 meetings and on this reflector, I believe there is strong consensus for an 802 PLENARY session outside of North America, as soon as possible.  I think there is also consensus that the cost of such a session is not an overriding issue.

Running  a survey of the membership would not provide any significant information, I think.  Since the vast majority of the membership is based in North America, I believe the outcome of such a survey is a foregone conclusion.

We have a duty to the IEEE and to the industry to operate as a truly international standards development organization.  I think that having at least one plenary session outside of North America is the minimum we can do.  If we were to be truly international, I think that we would be rotating plenaries to be held once each year in the Asia-Pacific region, the Europe/Africa region, and the Americas region.

 -Bob