|Thread Links||Date Links|
|Thread Prev||Thread Next||Thread Index||Date Prev||Date Next||Date Index|
With some regrets I am voting Disapprove on this motion. If there was a way to table an email motion or to postpone it to the next plenary I would attempt that instead.
In principle, I see a value to holding some plenary meetings outside North America even if that entails a manageable amount of extra expense and effort.
However, our membership should be consulted generally before we make this decision. As far as I can recall, we have allowed for such discussion before making this type of change in the past. While there was some discussion among the exec and in some of the working groups about the visa problem last meeting, the motion has only been raised through Exec reflector discussion and the change has not been presented at all in some Working Groups.
We are talking about a change for 4 years in the future. This isn't an emergency. Preliminary investigations of practicality of the change can begin without the motion. Therefore, the earliest we should consider this motion is at the end of the March Plenary when we will have had a chance for discussion in the working groups. It would be a bad precedent to use an email ballot to decide this before an opportunity for Working Group discussion.
Ideally, I also would prefer to find out if we have some indication of willingness of organizations to act as co-hosts (at least for logistics) before we commit to this action.
---------- This email is sent from the 802 Executive Committee email reflector. This list is maintained by Listserv.