From: Grow, Bob [mailto:bob.grow@INTEL.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 7:53 PM
To: STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Term limits

Colleagues:

Since there has been some discussion (thank you all), I'll respond to the comments (also acting as a summary).

Ajay -- I'm not sure of your point on the "overhanging election".  Is your problem with the WG deciding in advance to allow an otherwise term limited Chair to run again, or was it you basically agreeing that any rules change should be completed in consultation with our WG/TAGs well before the March 2006 elections loom over us?

I did consult 802.3 at a past meeting and there was some support for term limits, but more sentiment that forcing someone they are happy with out of office is not good.  (During this discussion as part of full disclosure, I did note that the 802.3 Vice Chair will be term limited in March 2006.)  Option #4 came from the floor during that discussion (someone with experience in another standards group having a supermajority excemption).  I think I did ask WG Chairs to consider consulting their groups when we discussed this during the EC meeting, so either my memory or that of other EC members has failed if similar consultation hasn't occured.

I personally think it prudent to involve my WG before voting on this type of rule change. (I also did it before starting to advocate for a TBD change.) It will appear to some of our members that we may have a conflict of interest when we vote on such a rules change.  (For some it may be a real conflict of interest, for others only a perceived conflict of interest.)  I personally plan to take a WG vote if a rules change on this progresses before I cast a final vote of approval.

Pat -- I agree with you that whatever we do, hybernating WGs should not have their Chairs' term limited.

Tony, John, Mike -- Trust people familiar with a parlimentary systems to support a "vote of no confidence" approach.  The current rule doesn't have the elgegance of a no confidence vote.  Instead the current rule pragmatically requires something more akin to a coup d'etat, something more familiar to those of us schooled on the "virutes" of the American revolution.  Being one of those (and one that also took comparitive government) I still find some advantage to simply throwing the bum out at the earliest opportunity.  Is your preference to add no confidence or replace the current provision?

Steve, Tony -- My significant slipup on not thinking about TAG Chairs Steve, but they aren't covered by the term limit subclause.  So in the spirit of egalitarianism advocated by Tony, any limit and or exemption from limits should apply equally and rationally should extend to TAGs and other EC posisions.  This one gets quite convoluted in the rules though, I'll have to think about it.  To satisfy those in support of no limit if hybernating WG, perhaps make it so any limit/exemption remaining applies to all voting EC positions.

Tony -- The "at least" wordsmithing suggestion to #4 noted though I prefer "75% majority vote" which doesn't imply the exact 75% per RROR.

Mike -- I had thought about specifying that the vote to exempt from term limits occur at the prior plenary meeting.  It works for normal elections and would also allow one returning from hiatus to similarly seek re-election through term limit exemption.  But, I haven't figured out how to make it work if you "throw the bum out" per the immediate election rule and want to go back to the tried and true former chair (unless for this specific case the exception to term limits rule was allowed also to be immediate).  Getting pretty complicated.  Do we also have reason to be concerned about the case where the Chair announces his/her retirement in November but before March gets convinced that the best alternative is to re-up?

All -- I'll take another shot at #4 text and see if I can fix the appealing "tweaks" above.  It might create a clearer differentiation between removing the text per #2 and a fairly verbose rewriting of #4 (possibly changing other sections).  Proposing my alternative #2 is easy, we'll see what I can come up with on a tweaked #4.

--Bob