Re: [802SEC] Tutorial List for July Plenary in San Francisco

Roger -

I believe the fundamental problem here is that 802 has grown just a little
bit over the past 2 decades, both in numbers attending and the volume of
work being undertaken, & yet we still only have 4 tutorial slots available.
Without fixing that, I don't see that we stand any chance of doing better
than the first-come-first-served system - after all, people have to prepare
their material, and to commit to attending in order to present, and
therefore there will always be a need for some/all of the slots to be
locked down some while in advance.

So as far as I can tell, we only get to fix the problem by expanding the
number of available slots. Clearly something has to give - and the prime
candidates would seem to be:

- the principle that we run a single track of tutorials. With the wide
spread of topic areas in 802, it ought to be possible to run parallel
tutorial tracks.

- the principle that tutorials only happen on Mondays and Tuesdays. There
are two other days in the week; maybe we should consider moving the social
to Thursday and use Wednesday evening for more tutorial slots. Or keep the
Wednesday social and do tutorials on Thursday evening.

Actually, what we are seeing is IMHO just another symptom caused by trying
to fit a much-expanded 802 into essentially the same meeting format we had
when we numbered around 200. 10-day Plenaries anyone? Its going to happen
sooner or later...

Regards,
Tony

At 21:12 19/04/2005, Roger B. Marks wrote:
>Buzz,
>
>Thanks for giving us this review opportunity. I hope this will be a
>regular part of the procedure. When it comes to tutorials, I don't like
>surprises.
>
>The program looks pretty good to me. I hope that the Chair's Guidelines
>are followed, including "Present multiple viewpoints and speakers where
>appropriate." It's not apparent from the abstracts that this one will be
>observed.
>
>Another issue: the tutorial request deadline is 1 month before the
>session. Locking down the schedule now (three months before the July
>session) is going to freeze out other proposals. I think we ought to think
>about revisiting the first-come/first-served system.
>
>Roger
>

>At 11:29 -0700 2005-04-19, Rigsbee, Everett O wrote:
> >Colleagues,  Attached you will find the current Tutorials Schedule for
> July 2005 for your review.  Please let us know if you have any comments
> or concerns.  Otherwise we will post this information to the Plenary
> Portal for attendee viewing.
> >

> >Thanx,  Buzz
> >Dr. Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
> >Boeing - SSG
> >PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM
> >Seattle, WA  98124-2207
> >(425) 865-2443    Fx: (425) 865-6721
> >Cell: (425) 417-1022
> >everett.o.rigsbee@boeing.com

>This email is sent from the 802 Executive Committee email reflector.  This
>list is maintained by Listserv.

Regards,
Tony