[802SEC] Current Status on WG Membership and Meetings ballot / Strawpolls

Folks,

Attached please find my current recommended resolution for the
Membership and Meetings ballot.  Changes from the original ballot are
highlighted in green.  Many of the issues are still unresolved because
there are so many and we could not discuss them all on the last telecon.
Most of the issues discussed and resolved concerned the basics
mechanisms used to gain and loose membership, as well as member rights.

In addition, I was task with crafting some specific text in particular
areas that could not be easily developed on the call.  I wish to straw
poll that text with the EC.  Please tell me what you think:

Text 1:

A number of participants are still concerned about membership rights in
newly formed WG.  They felt since there aren't any currently forming WG,
this might be a good time to try and make some adjustments.   The
general gist of the desired adjustments were as follows:

            Make rules for membership in new WG the same as for existing
members

            Will not be able to take formal votes in WG until membership
possible (same as study group)

            Membership will be possible at the 2nd plenary

                        Assumes Interim is held

            Otherwise membership is possible at 3rd plenary

            Elect officers etc at first plenary where membership is
possible

Here is my shot at a text.  You should read everything but I've
italicized and bolded the key text.  Replace 7.3.2.1 with:

Membership in a WG/TAG (Working Group or Technical Advisory Group) is
established by participating in the meetings of the WG/TAG at two out of
the last three Plenary sessions. In addition, a letter of intent and/or
affiliation statement may be required for membership in a WG/TAG.
Participation at a meeting is defined as at least 75% physical presence
at that a meeting.  Participation at a session is defined as attending
75% of the meeting hours at a session.  Membership starts at the
beginning of the third Plenary session attended by the participant.  One
interim session of a WG/TAG or sub group may be substituted for a
Plenary session (See subclause 7.2.3.4).  The interim session must have
occurred adjacent to one of the last three Plenary sessions.

Attendees of the Working Group who have not achieved member status are
known as observers.  Additional classifications may be determined within
Working Groups if desired.  Liaisons are those designated individuals
who provide liaison with other working groups or standards bodies.

Although not a requirement for membership in the Working Group,
participants are encouraged to join the IEEE, the IEEE Standards
Association (IEEE-SA), and the IEEE Computer Society. Membership in the
IEEE-SA will also allow participants to join Sponsor level ballot
groups.

Membership may be declared at the discretion of the Working Group Chair
(e.g., for contributors by correspondence or other significant
contributions to the Working Group).

At the initial formation of a new WG/TAG, participant continue to
operate in the same mode as a study group until such time as a
membership can be defined via attendance credits.  For instance, if a
new WG holds one plenary session, and one interim, a defined membership
will exist at the next (second) plenary session.  The WG would start to
operate normally at their second plenary session and should elect
officers at that session.

Text 2:

I feel much of the confusion with the current membership rules stems
from the fact that gaining membership is decided at the beginning of a
plenary session, and loss of membership is determined at the end of a
plenary session.  I would like to see both issues decided at the same
point in time.  This way a single rule can be applied to determine if
someone is or is not a member.  Accordingly I recommend modifying the
text above as follows:

Replace 7.3.2.1 with:

Membership in a WG/TAG (Working Group or Technical Advisory Group) is
established by participating in the meetings of the WG/TAG at two out of
the last three Plenary sessions. In addition, a letter of intent and/or
affiliation statement may be required for membership in a WG/TAG.
Participation at a meeting is defined as at least 75% physical presence
at that a meeting.  Participation at a session is defined as attending
75% of the meeting hours at a session.  Membership starts at the
completion of the second Plenary session attended by the participant.
[...]

Please let me know what you think of these two texts.

Thanks,

Mat

Matthew Sherman, Ph.D.
Senior Member Technical Staff