From: Rigsbee, Everett O [mailto:everett.o.rigsbee@BOEING.COM]
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 1:31 PM
To: STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802SEC] +++EC Email Ballot+++ Motion for Network Equipment
Upgradesl+++ends 19 August 2005

Michael,  I do believe the world is gradually moving in that direction
but a significant portion of todays WLAN access nets are still 802.11b
only.  Dell D600 still makes the Tri-Mode card an extra-cost option but
the amount is negligible for anyone except a company purchasing officer.
However, I continue to be surprised at how many supposedly
"Knowledgeable Sources" are still recommend buying just 802.11b "because
it works everywhere."  (so do b,g and tri-mode and they work better
where they can, duhhh???).  Our statistics show that less than 10% of
our attendees currently use 802.11a and so we tend to experience severe
802.11b congestion in our larger, high-density meetings.

What we're looking to do is somehow encourage many of our attendees to
move up to 802.11a capability where there is a great deal more headroom
for dense settings (12 channels vs. 3, and 54Mb/s vs. 11mb/s) in the
short term (i.e. by next plenary).

Our next step will be to add security.

Thanx,  Buzz
Dr. Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee