Re: [802SEC] +++EC Email Ballot+++ Motion on The Atlanta Proposal+++ends 29 July 2005

Steve,  Hotels only offer these kind of bonus plus deals to get some business on the books that far out.  Closer in you're competing with other groups for the space and they will not make those kind of concessions.  So to get the best possible deals you either book far in advance, or you wait until the last posible minute when any hotel with that much space open will do almost anything to fill it.  Since we can't reasonably risk doing the latter, we have to go for the far-out deals.

Hotels go through cycles and you have to shop for hotels that have high motivation to put business on the books.  Right now it is HR-Atlanta that has a new GM and a new Director of Sales that are highly motivated to show they can book a lot of new business for the hotel.  In six months we might not be able to get close to such a deal.

I know this sounds a bit like Black Magic but in 20+ years of doing this job it is just one of the things you learn how to look for.

I agree about the timing for decisions.  My stuff was actually scheduled to go much earlier on the agenda when we would have had more time to discuss, but due to an inappropriate last minute agenda rearrangement my stuff got pushed to the end and that's the primary source of the problem.

The normal procedure would be to put out the meeting choice information sheets prior to the meeting week so that each WG would have a chance to review the proposals with their WG members prior to any motions, and if there was some controversy on choices an EC sub-committee meeting could be scheduled during the week to facilitate Q&A and discussion of issues.

Unfortunately, both of these (London & Atlanta) arrived too late in the game to follow a normal process.  That's why I was particularly upset when my agenda time got short-sheeted.  I worked very hard to at least give us an option to go for it (despite the non-optimal process) and I felt a lot of the confusion was due to not having adequate time to review and explain.  We will try hard to do better for next time around, and to stick with our desired process for review.

I've never had very good luck with telecon participation for meeting site discussions, so I prefer to do them face to face at the meeting when possible.    :-)

Thanx,  Buzz
Dr. Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
Boeing - SSG
PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM