From: Michael Lynch [mailto:mjlynch@nortel.com]
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2005 11:09 AM
To: Shellhammer, Steve; STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: RE: [802SEC] 802.18 Comments IC Spectrum Framework Consultation

Steve,

As far as I know the situation vis-a-vis the TV bands in Canada is not
the same as the U.S.

Something like 90% of the Canadian population lives within 100 Km of the
U.S. border. I have been told that no single market has more than 4
broadcast channels.

What I also understand has happened is that in Canada the unused
channels have, in many areas, been used for other purposes, e.g.
point-to-point links, etc. The 746 - 806 MHz band which has been
identified as available for 3G technologies and public safety is still
years off from being re-allocated - until after Canada finishes their
DTV transition. That transition will not happen until after the one in
the U.S.

Having said all that there probably are areas of Canada where some of
the channels could be used. However no one present when we wrote the
response, including Canadian residents and an IC employee, knew of any
plan to use TV bands for unlicensed devices.

I hope this long winded answer helps.

Regards,

Mike