Re: [802SEC] Quorum Rules in IEEE 802

Steve,

You have omitted one key quote:

In Ch. XI, Section 40 under "Manner of Enforcing the Quorum Requirement"
it states:

	'When the chair has called a meeting to order after finding that
a quorum is present, the continued presence of a quorum is presumed
unless the chair or a member notices that a quorum is no longer
present.'

However I will go further to justify my stance and state that:

	WE HAVE NO RULES ON HOW AND WHEN TO TAKE A QUORUM!

At least I don't know of any.  Our rules say a quorum must be present,
but don't say how the presence is determined.  Determining a quorum is a
non-technical matter.  Therefore (in the absence of a specific rule) it
is up to the chair to decide how to determine if a quorum is present.
All the guidance we are citing from Roberts is just that - Guidance.
None of it is binding.  The question is completely and totally up to the
chair.

Now while I don't think you asked this, it could be suggested that we
clarify the 802 rules on interim quorum.  However I have found that for
any rule we can define, we can always find a loophole and ambiguity.
Further I suggest you ask yourself the following:

Do you check for the presence of a quorum before every vote?  Do you
think it is reasonable to check for a quorum before every vote? Do you
even check prior to the opening of each meeting?

My suggestion is that with regard to an interim quorum, our rules are
clear enough, and that we leave it be.  Explictly requiring more could
have substantial administrative impact - particularly on our larger
groups.  The chair determines the quorum, and it is completely up to him
how.  Unless challenged, he may presume one if he likes.  There is
nothing in our rules that prevent this.  I believe that formalizing
additional rules will simply lead to additional complexity with an even
greater risk of more loopholes and patches to the rules.

Hope that helps.

Mat

PS -

As an aside, there was one occasion I can recall (perhaps you were
there) where at the closing meeting of a WG interim, someone called for
a quorum.  Of course many people like to skip out early, and a quorum
was not present.  The WG was unsure how to proceed and basically closed
down the meeting (a quorum was unachievable at that point) leaving many
important motions and much WG business unattended to.  It was a mess.
One person had completely killed a critical meeting using this tactic.
(I think because they needed to leave early or something).  As I recall
all business conducted before the point of the quorum call was presumed
valid.  I don't believe any rules changes occurred based on the events.
However after much research I think the WG leadership decided on the
following basic guidance should the situation reoccur (if anyone wishes
to correct me on any of these matters feel free):

	If a quorum is called and not present:
		Continue transacting business anyway
		Don't shut down the meeting
		Business conducted prior to the quorum call is
considered valid
		Decisions after the quorum call must be affirmed by the
WG
			Either use the reflector or at the next plenary
	Only follow the process above if a quorum is challenged
		Otherwise assume a quorum is present

Matthew Sherman, Ph.D.
Senior Member Technical Staff
BAE SYSTEMS, CNIR