From: Carl R. Stevenson [mailto:wk3c@WK3C.COM]
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2005 04:40
To: STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802SEC] EC Membership and voting

I have been watching this debate and I must agree with Bob ... If for
some reason I was unable to attend a plenary, I would want my Vice-chair
to be able to act on my WG's behalf - bring necessary motions to the EC
and vote on them.

As Bob points out, anything less would disenfranchise my WG's membership
and place necessary EC motions in jeopardy.

I think we need to make provisions for a Vice-chair, who is delegated by
and acting for a Chair who can't be present, to take the Chair's seat in
the EC meeting and act as the Chair's proxy.

While I have never missed a single plenary or interim in all the years
since I started participating in 802, there is always the possibility
that any of the WG chairs could be taken ill at the wrong time, have an
accident, a death in the family, etc. and be unable to participate.  In
such a case, I see no reason why their duly-elected (and confirmed by
the EC) Vice-chair should not be able to represent the WG.

Regards,
Carl