[802SEC] 802.20 Attendance Credit for November Plenary

Dear 802 Executive Committee Members,
Per the request from the EC meeting Nov. 18, 2005, the following is a summary
explanation of the 802.20 attendance ruling made at the 802.20 Session 17 in
Vancouver, Canada.
The posted draft minutes of the session are available on the 802.20 web site
at
http://www.ieee802.org/20/WG_Docs/802.20-05-09.doc

The session originally had 14 time slots for attendance with 11 needed for
75% and an attended Tutorial could be an extra credit time slot for one missed.
Monday                          PM1 PM2
Tuesday       AM1 AM2 PM1 PM2
Wednesday  AM1 AM2 PM1 PM2
Thursday      AM1 AM2 PM1 PM2
Given the above a person could miss three time slots and still receive 75%.

The session adjourned at 2:41pm on Wednesday. The session agenda was amended
to eliminated further voting on technology selection until the January session
so that mergers could be developed. The agenda then moved to the remaining
business items and once those items were covered the meeting adjourned.

Therefore the  time slots for attendance were reduced to 9 with 7 needed for
75% and an attended Tutorial could be an extra credit time slot for one missed.
Monday                          PM1 PM2
Tuesday       AM1 AM2 PM1 PM2
Wednesday  AM1 AM2 PM1
Given the above a person could miss only two time slots and receive 75%.

My rationale as the Chair regarding the attendance for the 75% was very
simple. Participation credit is for attending the session and if the agreed
business for the session ends early then the credit is based upon the time slots of
the actual session. My assumption is that the intent of participation is
attending the working group session and not just managing attendance in time slots
to receive credit. If credit is given for non-attended time slots in 802.20,
people can also attend other Working groups and obtain credit for those slots,
effectively obtaining dual credits.

Only a small number of people are affected by ending the business of the
session early. There are 171 people receiving participation credit based upon 9
time slots. There 32 people who signed in, but did not participate for 75% of
the time. Of the 32 people not receiving credit, only 8 people are affected by
the ruling and the shorter session. The above numbers are still subject to a
final review and cross check with other working groups’ attendance sign ins.

Therefore only 8 people out of 203 people can have issue with the ruling.
This is a very small number and we should carefully understand the implications
of a precedent that grants attendance credits based upon a beginning session
agenda or even a high level unapproved agenda.

I hope this answers the questions raised. Please contact me with any further
questions.
Regards,
Jerry Upton