[802SEC] FW: [New-work] WG Review: Diameter Maintenance and Extensions (dime)
- To: STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org
- Subject: [802SEC] FW: [New-work] WG Review: Diameter Maintenance and Extensions (dime)
- From: "Congdon, Paul T (ProCurve)" <paul.congdon@HP.COM>
- Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 14:12:42 -0800
- Reply-To: "Congdon, Paul T (ProCurve)" <paul.congdon@HP.COM>
- Thread-Index: AcYFqecAXzEGrtciSk29XafcHPZHVwACIfsw
- Thread-Topic: [New-work] WG Review: Diameter Maintenance and Extensions (dime)
IEEE 802 WG Chairs,
Here is another new work announcement from the IETF that may be of
interest to your WG members.
From: email@example.com [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org] On
Behalf Of The IESG
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 1:00 PM
Subject: [New-work] WG Review: Diameter Maintenance and Extensions
A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Operations and
Management Area. The IESG has not made any determination as yet. The
following draft charter was submitted, and is provided for informational
Please send your comments to the IESG mailing list (email@example.com) by
Diameter Maintenance and Extensions (dime)
Current Status: Proposed Working Group
WG Chair(s): TBD
Operations and Management Area Director(s):
Bert Wijnen <firstname.lastname@example.org>
David Kessens <email@example.com>
Operations and Management Area Advisor:
Bert Wijnen <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Description of Working Group:
The Diameter Maintanence and Extentions WG will focus on maintenance and
extensions to the Diameter protocol required to enable its use in
applications such as IP telephony and Local Area Network authentication,
authorization and accounting.
The IETF has recently completed work on the Diameter Base protocol.
There is on-going work on defining RADIUS extensions. The work done in
the DiME WG will ensure that work done in RADext is also available for
The immediate goals of the DiME working group are to address the
- Maintaining and/or progressing, along the standards track, the
Diameter procotol and Diameter Applications. Every revised document to
be "maintained" requires explicit approval before it will be accepted as
a WG document.
- An informational RFC on a Diameter API.
- Diameter Application design guidelines. This document will provide
guidelines for design of new Diameter Applications. It will detail when
to consider reusing an existing application and when to develop a new
application. Interaction between vendor & SDO specific extensions and
applications will be covered.
- Diameter QoS application. This document will develop a new Diameter
application for supporting QoS in AAA deployments. The NSIS WG will be
consulted on proper design of QoS attributes.
- Diameter URI. RFC 3588 defines an AAA URI which has some know
problems. A document revising the AAA URI as a specific Diameter URI
will be developed.
- Diameter extentions for MIPv6. This may include support for Mobile IP
extensions, like FMIP; as well as support for MIP bootstrapping.
Additionally, AAA systems require interoperability in order to work.
Uncontrolled extensibility is not a mechanism for interoperability.
Therefore, the working group, along with the AD, will need to evaluate
any potential extensions and require verification that the proposed
extension is needed. Coordination with other IETF working groups and
other SDOs will used to ensure this.
Mar 06 Submit Diameter API to IESG as an information RFC.
May 06 Submit Diameter URI to IESG as an information RFC.
Sep 06 Submit Diameter QoS Application to IESG as a Proposed Standard.
Sep 06 Submit Diameter Application Design Guidelines to IESG as an
Jan 07 Submit Diameter Base to IESG as a Draft Standard
New-work mailing list
This email is sent from the 802 Executive Committee email reflector. This list is maintained by Listserv.