Re: [802SEC] +++ LMSC P&P Revision Ballot +++ WG Plenary

I vote disapprove.  This is poorly written, is grossly incomplete and if
approved would introduce significant ambiguity in the document, and
futher divergence between the unifying characteristics of LMSC WGs.

General -- This change attempts to make plenary generic for LMSC plenary
or WG plenary for avoiding quorum requirements and for membership
determination.  There are though 74 occurances of plenary in the body or
the current P&P, most not related to the stated rationale.  A few are
qualified as "LMSC plenary" already, but most others would need to be
edited to clarify that the plenary referred to was an LMSC plenary,
otherwise the ambiguity becomes a problem.

Page 1, line 31 -- At present, LMSC session and plenary session are
synonyms.  This change makes the headings and much of the content below
confusing.

Page 1, line 43 -- This is an example of something that doesn't make
sense if plenary is generic for LMSC plenary or WG plenary.

Page 2, line 37 -- I don't believe the second sentence of 8.3 adds
anything.  Whether or not WGs co-locate has nothing to do with whether
or not it is a WG plenary session.  I also find the final sentence of
little value.

Page 2, line 35 -- I find the paragraph awkward.  Ignoring my
substantive problems with the proposed change, I would change for
readability as follows:

"In addition to LMSC plenary sessions, an LMSC WG/TAG may hold WG
Plenary sessions. A WG/TAG may hold no more than one such session
between LMSC Plenary sessions. A WG plenary session shall be announced
at least one year in advance; and shall be designated as a WG Plenary
session.  The announcement must include the exact date(s) and venue.
Dates and venue may only be changed during this required notice period
in extreme cases where acts of nature or governments make the venue
unavailable, or prevent attendance of a significant number of WG
members."

Page 2, line 41 -- This introduces inconsistency with 7.2.3.1.  What now
is a "duly constituted WG interim"?  It introduces further divergence in
WG practice.  This does not disallow a duly constituted WG or TF/TG
meeting to be substituted for a plenary, and therefore would allow
membership to be gained in as little as 2 months.

While many believe accellerated attrition of the member list is
beneficial, it would cut the time for WGs holding WG plenaries to
nominally 6 months while leaving those groups not holding WG plenaries
at nominaly 12 or 14 months.

One can become a member without ever attending an LMSC plenary.  No
participation in PAR review or other items that unify the groups of LMSC
would then be part of their experience.  This also puts us on the
slipery slope of other items that can only be handled at an LMSC plenary
session.  A slope I'm reluctant to approach.

This also makes it even more difficult to maintain membership in two
groups because of more rapid age out.

--Bob Grow