Re: [802SEC] Proposed action on 802.15.3a PAR withdrawal

Geoff,

I spent a great deal of time attempting to unravel the situation in
.15.3a from the inside.  Let me offer some further detail.

66% approval - There is a fundamental parlimentry question here.  As the
approval rate goes up, it clearly indicates a greater unanimity of the
body.  But, if the body is divided, it makes it easier for the minority
to control the forward progress of the body.  In theory at least, if
committees are showing evidence of frequent jamming, it is probable that
the approval level has been set too high and it has now become
profitable for groups to force a split standard rather than attempting
to compromise.

I believe that you are correct that the problem is not only present at
the task group level.  If the task group level is set to 66%, the
problem may well work its way up the decision chain.  Another possible
outcome is that people find the strategy to stalemate too tenuous and
become more willing to compromise.  Your choices are: a) let the
situation continue  b) reset all technical decisions to 66% b)experiment
by altering the task group position and evaluating the effect on the
process.

Entity balloting - The ideal of a democratic organization is
commendable.  In the trenches, this is a level of idealism that is
fairly disconnected from practice.  In practice, company members vote
together.

If a company has a significant vested interest in the process, it is
simply too attractive for them not to send a body of voters in an effort
to obtain a favorable outcome in the voting.  This is the reality.

While I fully recognize that this suggests that a fix may well require a
fundamental reconsideration of the organization's founding principals
and/or a whole lot of effort to find other paths, this is a key factor
in much of the trouble that exists.

Let me give a simple example.  If a startup has produced first prototype
silicon and is almost through round A funding at the time that proposals
are considered, it is extremely critical for their business to have
their approach largely if not entirely accepted.  Millions of dollars
and entrepeneurial dreams are on the line.  Would it be suprising to
find that sending a contengient of 20 or more people who have been
encouraged to vote positively (and who have stock options riding on the
outcome)is considered acceptable and sufficiently ethical?

Forced division of the PAR

Personally, I take the concept of a STANDARD rather literally.  To me it
generally means that there is one approach that is recognized by the
body.  Split standards, while in many cases expedient, are not really
beneficial to the market.  They cause unnecessary confusion and in cases
of radio systems, interference.

I think that we should be working toward a process that reliably and
consistently generates single solution standards.

I would further argue that if we are experiencing the frequent use of
split standards to solve or avoid excessive delays, it is probably
another indication that your approval percentage is set too high.  If a
group is in a minority position, it is an attractive option for them to
hold out for the split standard.  They get a second bite at the apple in
the open market.

If the rules essentially force a split PAR approach, we would have
created an incentive.  Getting to #2 is the same as a win.  No further
compromise would be needed.  This type of approach would seem to
severely diminish the likelihood of single solution standards.