[802SEC] +++ Current LMSC P&P Revision Ballot Results +++ Editorial

Dear EC members,

Below you will see the current status of this ballot. All comments
received to date are compiled at the end. Please let me know if you see
any errors.

As previously noted, this ballot closes February 2nd.  So far we have no
vote.  Frankly, I'm not too concerned on this one because if anyone
objects to anything I'll simply put it back the way it was.  But if you
are going to vote against it (or care) please vote and comment.  Don't
just show up the final vote and express your opinions for the first time
on the floor of the closing EC meeting.

Regards,

Mat

Voters                  DNV   DIS   APP   ABS   Comments Provided?

00 Paul Nikolich        DNV

01 Mat Sherman          DNV                     YES

02 Pat Thaler          DNV

03 Buzz Rigsbee         DNV

04 Bob O'Hara           DNV

05 John Hawkins         DNV

06 Tony Jeffree         DNV

07 Bob Grow             DNV                     YES

08 Stuart Kerry         DNV

09 Bob Heile            DNV

10 Roger Marks          DNV

11 Mike Takefman        DNV

12 Mike Lynch           DNV

13 Steve Shellhammer    DNV

14 Jerry Upton          DNV

15 Ajay Rajkumar        DNV

16 Carl Stevenson       DNV                     YES

---+++---+++---+++---+++---+++---+++---+++---+++---+++---

TOTALS                   DNV  DIS  APP  ABS

total:                  -16- -01- -00- -00-

Ballot Comments:

Grow, Bob [bob.grow@INTEL.COM]                        Wed 1/4/2006 12:34
PM

My first comment was a bit flipant.  If there are very few mentions of
task forces and task groups, why force the abreviation for both to be
TG?  Is it that big a problem to include TG/TF as the acronym?

Carl raises a substantive issue with replacing all uses of WG/TAG with
WG.  With a bit more thought, I'm not sure that the simplification
enhances clarity, it probably detracts from it, and we would need to
inspect every case of TAG and determine if the substitution is correct.

Probably something of a stretch for an editorial change as some of them
are subtle.

Carl R. Stevenson [wk3c@WK3C.COM]                     Wed 1/4/2006 11:59
AM

> 1.  If a TAG doesn't mind being a WG in the P&P then I'll have a

> harder time arguing against a task force being abrievated as TG.

Mat and Bob ...

There is a distinct difference between a TAG and a WG ... TAGs may not
write (full use) standards - only Recommended Practices and other
"specialty"

documents within their chartered purview ...

Why would a task force be abbreviated "TG" ???

> 2.  No problem on lower case plenary and interim.  Unless the WG

> plenary change needs to distinguish a Plenary (i.e., LMSC

> Plenary) from a generic plenary (i.e., WG Plenary or LMSC Plenary).

> But then, capitalization being the only distinguishing characteristic

> would probably be a bit too subtle for me.

I have no problem with the little p ...

> 3.  Subclause 17.1 has bigger problems than a non-existent working

> guide.  We shouldn't reiterate NesCom and SB requirements at all, only

> reference them.  It is in conflict with 7.4 (two plenary sessions

> instead of six months).  The second bullet is instructions for filling

> out the PAR form and don't belong here any more than the bad

> reference.

Agree with Bob ...

> 4.  It seems strange to me to replace things like "working groups"

> with WG and leave the occurances already in the P&P of "WGs".  Your

> attempt to have the singular be defined as either singular or plural

> is incomplete.

Agree with Bob ...

Sherman, Matthew J. (US SSA)                          Tue 1/3/2006 10:24
PM

Bob,

Excellent comments!  Here are some responses:

1) There are actually very few occurrences of Task Group or Task Force
in the P&P, so it's not too critical how we resolve things.  Off hand,
I've always treated them as essentially the same thing with different
names.  If they are truly different things, I would be helpful if you
clarified the difference to me.  Perhaps they should be enumerated then.

2) Agreed.

3) I agree with the comment, but fixing it would be (in my opinion) more
than editorial.  So I plan to leave it be for now.

4)Opps!  That slipped through the cracks, but I agree completely.

Grow, Bob [bob.grow@intel.com]                        Tue 1/3/2006 8:22
PM

A few observations on your "more extensive" changes, and desired
changes.

[...]

Sherman, Matthew J. (US SSA)                          Mon 1/2/2006 11:49
PM

(Please see reflector archive for attachment)

The last e-mail was the 'official' ballot which was needed to open the
topic for discussion.  Attached are my current recommended changes which

are much more extensive.   If any of you have any editorial issues you'd

like to resolve, please send them to me (with recommended textual
changes).

There are additional changes I want to make, but I want to see if anyone
objects to my positions first.  Here is a short list of issues not yet
addressed for comment:

1) There are a large number of occurrences of 'WG or TAG' and 'WG/TAG'

in the text.  I feel this is cumbersome and unnecessary.  The original
intent of the P&P TAG text was that TAG procedures are identical to WG
procedures unless explicitly identified otherwise.  I plan to replace
most occurrences of the phrases above with 'WG' unless I hear objections
to this approach.

2) There are many occurrences of 'Plenary' as a proper noun
(capitalized).  'Interim' is almost never capitalized.  I plan to
eliminate most occurrences of the capitalization of 'plenary'.  From a
pure grammar perspective I think it can go either way.  Let me know if
you object.

3) In clause 17.1 (line 17) there is reference to a 'working guide' that
I believe no longer exists.  I plan to change the reference to a 'web
page' unless people object.

Matthew Sherman, Ph.D.
Senior Member Technical Staff
BAE SYSTEMS, CNIR