Re: [802SEC] Do Abstains Count in the Denominator

Roger,

I believe I have stated my reasons, but perhaps in too general terms for
you to realize I was responding in part to you. I am aware of your view.
I haven't gone back to check the 2003 minutes.

My point of view is as follows:

We had written operating rules under which we were operating after the
March 2003 meeting.
Possibly there was an editing error that changed the meaning of one of
those rules from what was intended. There is a difference between what
is in the text of the P&P produced and what is in the minutes. I wasn't
on the EC at the time so I don't know which recording of the wording is
correct - the motion recorded in the minutes.

We executed multiple rules changes while under those rules including at
least one in Nov 2004 where the outcome would be affected by that error.
The result on that one came close to the threshold so there was some
examination of the result at the time so the EC chair examined the rules
and issued a ruling on whether it had passed.

At the time no one contested the wording of the rule. There were plenty
of people on the EC who were on the EC for both the change where there
may have been an error and the later vote. If there was an error in the
rules, that was the time to bring it up. If this same discussion was
taking place in Nov/Dec 2004 in response to the ruling, I would be more
open to it.

My position is that our ability to rewind our actions is limited. Three
years after the claimed error took place and over a year after the
action that would have been affected by that error is too late to alter
our actions. This is particularly true since we know the action was
questioned and the situation was examined at the time of the action.

Regards,
Pat