[802SEC] On the use of press releases in general [Was: Motion to approve 802.22 press release]

Given the recent rash of press release approval requests, I wonder if we
aren't "lowering the bar" a bit on what constitutes "news" i.e. press
release-worthy items.

Carl and team have worked hard to get this far, and I'm not trying to
minimize that fact. (Same goes for Steve and Stuart whose recent
releases were approved). But as a marketing practitioner, I know that if
you crow too often, the audience (usually the press) stops paying
attention to you. Maybe I'm all wet and garnering press attention is not
the goal in this case. Maybe the goal is to simply timestamp what we
believe are important milestones.

But even so, I think we should agree ahead of time on a practice (dare I
say "policy"?) of what types of events constitute worthy "news triggers"
for an official release. I'd propose that new project approvals,
forwarding drafts to sponsor, standards approvals, etc... make the
grade.

Am I off base here?

john