From: John Hawkins [mailto:jhawkins@nortel.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 9:13 AM
To: Rigsbee, Everett O; EC Reflector 802
Subject: [802SEC] RE: [802SEC] On the use of press releases in general [Was: Motion to approve 802.22 press release]

Totally agree with you Buzz that we need to find ways to get standards activities in front of our execs. Couldn't have said it better myself.

But I don't think a press release accomplishes this. In fact, you make my point for me. If the intended audience is "the folks who read the news and might be interested" and if we want to "attract and maintain their interest" then we need to do something other than a press release. That is unless the target execs are in the habit of surfing to the IEEE website and reading the press releases there. That's the only affect these releases will have unless they constitute "real" news and a trade publication or online journal picks them up. If they do, the news may have a snowball's chance of being read by one of those targeted execs.

My (fairly narrow) point is that the more "non-real" news we put out in these press releases, the less likely the "real" news will get picked up when it does transpire.