[802SEC]

Daleep:

The industrial environment has very different environmental requirement
from that which most of the 802 participants are comfortable with.  In
the case of Ethernet, we work closely with the cabling standards
committees rather than specify our own cables.  Specifications likely to
be silicon implementations have commercial and or home environments
assumed when the parts are designed and tested.

We did receive a liaison request a year or so back asking if we would be
interested in changing the specification for 100BASE-TX (hundreds of
millions of ports shipped each year) for greater noise immunity to ease
industrial application.  IEEE 802.3 wasn't very interested in new
specifications that would not be interoperable with all these installed
and yet to be shipped devices.  So, that leaves the industrial Ethernet
people with some other options, run over optical fiber using standard
802.3 capabilities, write their own PMD specification based on
100BASE-TX, or adapt the cables, connectors and enclosures when
necessary to be able to use our large volume commercial parts.

One of the interests in using 802 technology in many of these new
environments is to be able to leverage the volume of product we produce
(lower cost, a rich infrastructure with all kinds of 802-interfaced
equipment, the fact that they eventually connect to 802 connected
computers, etc).  Changing the 802 specifications to meet special
environmental requirement though violates the volume rationale.  So, I
expect most of the 802 groups are happy to see our technologies applied
in increasing market segments, and would be happy to work with other
groups when appropriate, but usually the experts in the non-commercial
environments have to apply their expertise to see how they can leverage
generally available commercial parts in specialized equipment, or to
take commercial equipment and buggerize it for the specialized market.

Last time I met on US Navy communications projects, they were looking at
the latter approach, build an environmental enclosure so they could use
low-cost commercial equipment with the enclosure providing shock and
other environmental improvements for what has traditionally been a MIL
spec environment.  Where use of MIL spec chips is unavoidable, (or when
the capability needs to fly in space, etc.) generally special
arrangements are made to get access to commercial design files so a MIL
spec part can be built by a specialized semiconductor company.  ETSI has
a different problem when using Ethernet.  They need it ruggedized for
portability and difficult environments.  They specify commercial
lighting systems and the like for entertainment applications like
theatres and concerts.  So, they use different cables and connectors
that are roadie-proof, but generally can use commercial Ethernet parts.
They may have to do some special shielding when the Ethernet parts are
in a high voltage and current dimmer box, but they are the experts at
that stuff, not the attendees in 802.3.

--Bob