Re: [802SEC] [802SEC] +++EC Email ballot (closes no later than 25SEP2006)+++ Motion to approve the attached EC SC6 recommendation

G'day Geoff,

I believe Carl's issues have now been resolved and he has now voted
APPROVE.

You have interpreted "8802-1 should be modified so that international
standardisation can always be achieved" to mean "the IEEE even admits
that they are NOT a lower case international standard unless they are
blessed by ISO/IEC". I believe you have misinterpreted what the sentence
actually says. It only says that the process in 8802-1 should be defined
so that an ISO/IEC international standard results. Alternatively, it
says that the "endorsement process" provides no value to anyone. The
evidence is that the endorsement process has never been used. It does
not say that IEEE cannot achieve international standardisation in
another way (sorry for a double negative), including by recognition of
IEEE as a truly "international" SDO.

You have interpreted "A potential benefit for 802 of a cooperative
relationship with ISO/IEC is that it provides 802 WG's with the option
of establishing "international standard" status for an 802.x standard
through ISO/IEC using a simple documented cooperation process" as
implying that we believe IEEE is not an international SDO. However, I
believe you have neglected to parse the important phrase "... through
ISO/IEC". The sentence only talks about establishing an international
standard through ISO/IEC. It does not say anything about or disallow
other ways of establishing an international standard.

In both cases we could improve the language but I believe any risk of
misinterpretation is small because we have made our view about the IEEE
status as an international SDO relative to other SDOs and the reasons
for potentially using ISO/IEC clear on pp9 as follows:
* "The WTO & similar organisations give special status to "international
standards" that assists global acceptance"
* "The definition of an "international standard" is not always clear,
however we note that both ITU-R & ITU-T have recognised IEEE as an
international SDO by granting IEEE membership in the same category as
ISO"
* "Nevertheless, an ISO/IEC standard may be more acceptable to some
stakeholders as an "international standard""

On pp7 the only item of potential difficulty I cam see is "Recent
attempts to use the endorsement process defined in 8802-1 for 802.11ma
approval failed when multiple Liaison statements to SC6 were not
forwarded to the SC6 NBs". This statement is entirely true and was
merely being used to show there are practical difficulties in the
existing process. I guess the SC6 Secretariat could be upset by this
statement although they are not named, but they would need to be very
"thin skinned".

Andrew