From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List *****
[mailto:STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Paul Nikolich
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2006 1:38 PM
To: STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: [802SEC] EC meeting via teleconference--tentatively Friday
2-4pm et 20 Oct 2006

Dear EC members,

I will be convenening a teleconference meeting of the EC as soon as
possible (hopefully 2-4pm ET Friday 20OCT2006).  Please let me know if
you can make the teleconference meeting next Friday immediately.

The objective of the meeting will be to identify those members of the EC
that are non-conflicted with respect to any decisions regarding the
802.20 Working Group.  The process by which the non-conflicted members
will be identified is attached and closely matches the process used at
SASB.  The process is 802.20 specific right now, but in the long term my
intention is to make it generic and place it in the 802 Chair's
Guidelines.

Once the non-conflicted EC members are identified, our first order of
business will be to confirm the person identified to chair 802.20 as
recommended by the SASB chair recommendation committee and approved by
the SASB.  I'm not sure that person will be ready for EC confirmation by
next Friday, but he may be, therefore in addition to identifying the
non-conflicted EC members, I may ask for the non-conflicted EC members
to confirm the person via the telephone meeting as well.

In case you are wondering whether or not telephone meetings are
acceptable, they are.  I asked SA counsel to confirm this fact and they
have found the following:

Section I-300(4)(2) of the Institute's Bylaws provide
"The Board of Directors, the Executive Committee, the Major Boards, the
Standing Committees any other board or committee reporting directly to
the Board of Directors, and any board or committee of any organizational
unit of the IEEE, may meet and act upon the vote of its members by any
means of telecommunications.  The normal voting requirements shall apply
when action is taken by means of telecommunications equipment allowing
all persons participating in the meeting to hear each other at the same
time"."

additionally NY State non for profit statute provides:
"On the issue of telephone conferences, Section 708 of the NY not for
profit statute provides that a committee of the Board may participate in
a meeting of such board or committee by means of telephone if everyone
can hear and that participation by such means constitutes presence in
person at the meeting:
708(c)
c) When authorized by the certificate of incorporation or the by-laws,
any one or more members of the board or any committee thereof may
participate in a meeting of such board or committee by means of a
conference telephone or similar communications equipment allowing all
persons participating in the meeting to hear each other at the same
time. Participation by such means shall constitute presence in person at
a meeting."

Regards,

--Paul Nikolich

This list is maintained by Listserv.