Re: [802SEC] EC meeting via teleconference--tentatively Friday 2-4pm et 20 Oct 2006

I will be in the air.

At 01:38 PM 10/13/2006 -0400, Paul Nikolich wrote:
>Dear EC members,
>
>I will be convenening a teleconference meeting of the EC as soon as
>possible (hopefully 2-4pm ET Friday 20OCT2006).  Please let me know if you
>can make the teleconference meeting next Friday immediately.
>
>The objective of the meeting will be to identify those members of the EC
>that are non-conflicted with respect to any decisions regarding the 802.20
>Working Group.  The process by which the non-conflicted members will be
>identified is attached and closely matches the process used at SASB.  The
>process is 802.20 specific right now, but in the long term my intention is
>to make it generic and place it in the 802 Chair's Guidelines.
>
>Once the non-conflicted EC members are identified, our first order of
>business will be to confirm the person identified to chair 802.20 as
>recommended by the SASB chair recommendation committee and approved by the
>SASB.  I'm not sure that person will be ready for EC confirmation by next
>Friday, but he may be, therefore in addition to identifying the
>non-conflicted EC members, I may ask for the non-conflicted EC members to
>confirm the person via the telephone meeting as well.
>
>In case you are wondering whether or not telephone meetings are
>acceptable, they are.  I asked SA counsel to confirm this fact and they
>have found the following:
>
>Section I-300(4)(2) of the Institute's Bylaws provide
>"The Board of Directors, the Executive Committee, the Major Boards, the
>Standing Committees any other board or committee reporting directly to the
>Board of Directors, and any board or committee of any organizational unit
>of the IEEE, may meet and act upon the vote of its members by any means of
>telecommunications.  The normal voting requirements shall apply when
>action is taken by means of telecommunications equipment allowing all
>persons participating in the meeting to hear each other at the same time"."
>
>additionally NY State non for profit statute provides:
>"On the issue of telephone conferences, Section 708 of the NY not for
>profit statute provides that a committee of the Board may participate in a
>meeting of such board or committee by means of telephone if everyone can
>hear and that participation by such means constitutes presence in person
>at the meeting:
>708(c)
>c) When authorized by the certificate of incorporation or the by-laws, any
>one or more members of the board or any committee thereof may participate
>in a meeting of such board or committee by means of a conference telephone
>or similar communications equipment allowing all persons participating in
>the meeting to hear each other at the same time. Participation by such
>means shall constitute presence in person at a meeting."
>
>Regards,
>
>--Paul Nikolich

>This email is sent from the 802 Executive Committee email reflector.  This
> [...]

Bob Heile, Ph.D
Chairman, ZigBee Alliance
Chair, IEEE 802.15 Working Group on Wireless Personal Area Networks
11 Louis Road
Attleboro, MA  02703   USA
Mobile: +1-781-929-4832
email:   bheile@ieee.org