Re: [802SEC] +++EC Email Ballot+++ Motion on all-802 Interims

Colleagues-

Although this motion has wisely been ruled out of order, the original
comment/ballot period is still open and it has been suggested that the
motion should be reformulated.

I would speak against the motion in principle in the current and future
form. This is a BAD IDEA.
I agree with everything Ms. Thaler said.
Further, this sort of policy would preclude groups from timing their
meetings to a balloting cycle if there was an "overriding interim".

I am certain that the constituencies that I work with uniformly and
overwhelmingly vote against such an inflexible system. Further, the nature
of such a rule that would forbid alternative scheduling is unprecedented
(other than the hierarchical nature of our meeting and the Monday tutorial
rule). For example, it is perfectly permissible to have an interim the week
immediately before or after the Plenary week.

This kind of coercive action toward a volunteer body is very likely to
backfire.

Geoff