From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List *****
[mailto:STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Roger B. Marks
Sent: Friday, November 17, 2006 12:10 AM
To: STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802SEC] revised P802.16m PAR, and comment responses

Steve,

On Thursday night, the 802.16 WG approved the PAR and Five Criteria
as submitted to the EC on Wednesday:
	http://ieee802.org/16/docs/06/80216-06_054r2.pdf
	http://ieee802.org/16/docs/06/80216-06_055r3.pdf

Afterwards, we discussed your email, which arrived during our Closing
Plenary.

It is my firm view that the WG had no intent that the PAR "prevents
another working group from initiating a project to prepare a standard
for submission to the ITU for IMT-Advanced." I can assure you that
the WG recognizes that this would be completely inappropriate. In
fact, the WG made specific efforts to ensure clarity on this point.
For example, it wrote in the Distinct Identity element of the Five
Criteria the following:

"In order to address this and other ITU-R M.1645 elements, such as
the distribution layer, the hotspot layer, the personal network layer
and the fixed (wired) layer, other IEEE 802 groups have the
opportunity to develop their own submissions for the ITU-R. M.1645
envisions the use of multiple coordinated technologies, therefore
other IEEE 802 media and interworking standards may be suited to
address specific parts of the M.1645 structure."

While the WG intended to be clear on this point, it appears that you
remain unsatisfied. Recognizing your continued concerns with Item
7.1, the WG passed this motion by vote of 88/0/4:

"That the WG Chair be authorized to make changes to IEEE
802.16-06/054r2 and IEEE 802.16-06/055r3 to resolve EC concerns,
including clarification of 7.1."

Accordingly, I have reviewed the 7.1 language and would like to know
if you would be satisfied by the replacement of the sentence:

"Other IEEE 802 projects may target aspects of IMT-Advanced, but the
scope of this standard is expected to be unique within IEEE 802."

with:

"Other IEEE 802 groups have the opportunity to target aspects of IMT-
Advanced."

Please let me know.

Regards,

Roger