From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List *****
[mailto:STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Carl R Stevenson
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 2:04 PM
To: STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802SEC] forwarding the amended 802.16m PAR to NesCom

Bob (O'Hara), et al,

I am inserting content from another e-mail to me from Bob O'Hara (in
this
green text, hoping that at least most can receive HTML e-mail that will
show
the green text for context) in the interest of consolidating this
discussion
in one (hopefully) more coherent thread ...

Carl,

I wonder what P&P you are reading. I can find no limitation such as you
describe below, that requires that PARs "are considered by the EC *at
plenary sessions* - PERIOD". In fact, the only reference to when a PAR
can
be considered is a restriction on when it can NOT be considered.

The following sentence is from the fourth paragraph of clause 17,
Procedure
for PARs:

"It will be assumed that insufficient coordination and/or inter Working
Group consideration had occurred prior to the submission of the PAR if
this
deadline is not met, and the proposed PAR will not be considered by the
Executive Committee at the closing Executive Committee meeting."

The section quoted immediately above, on its face, clearly indicates
that
PARs are "considered at the closing Executive Committe meeting" - it
does
not provide for, or even alude to (nor does any other section of the
P&P),
any alternative means of considering PARs ... and I am unaware of any
instance where a PAR was considered and/or approved other than at the
closing Executive Committee meeting at a plenary session.

I further retiterate my concern, stated below in this e-mail thread,
that
"approving PARs via electronic ballot outside of a plenary session would
set
an undesirable precedent and put us on a slippery slope that would
effectively circumvent the long-established PAR approval process, which
believe is designed to assure that PARs are dealt with in an open and
transparent manner that affords all interested parties due process."

The only requirement for consideration of a PAR by the EC is that it
must
have met the WG/TAG coordination requirements (as well as meeting the
30-day
advance circulation requirement).

I disagree -  as I elaborate herein, a plain reading of the explicit
text of
the P&P clearly indicates that PARs and Drafts are only considered for
approval (and with exceptional voting requirements) "at meetings" per
7.1.3.3 (see elaboration below)

So, while your statements below may be reason for you to vote against
the
motion at the EC, there is no support there for you, at either NesCom or
the
SB, to speak against the PAR as being approved in violation of any of
our
P&P. If you believe there is support for your position in the P&P,
please
quote the appropriate text for us.

I disagree ... and cite a number of salient points:

Section 7.1.3.3 of the P&P  "Voting at Meetings" specifically states
that
"Approval of PARs and Drafts for forwarding to IEEE-SA shall require
approval by a majority of EC members present with voting rights"
(emphais
added)  Since the topic of this section is "Voting at Meetings" it
clearly
indicates that such approvals will take place at meetings.  Also, I fail
see how a member can be "present" in an electronic ballot (clearly, one
can
participate in an electronic ballot, but "presence" by its definition
indicates presence/participation in a face to face meeting).  Thus, it
is
clear to me that PARs and Drafts can, per the P&P, only be approved for
forwarding to IEEE-SA (or its committees) by a face to face EC meeting
(which only occur at plenary sessions).

Furthermore, the section on "Electronic Balloting"  (7.1.3.4) is limited
"decision(s) that cannot be made prior to the close of one plenary but
must
be made prior to the opening of the following plenary" (emphasis added).
think it's abundantly clear that this provision only addresses
exceptional
circumstances with a compelling need (historically, per my experience,
financial matters that must be dealt with to meet contractual
obligations
and regulatory filings with pressing and set deadlines).  It also
requires
that "all comments from those who are not members of the EC shall be
considered."  I fail to see how this latter requirement can be met with
"short-fuse" EC electronic ballot, given the fact that we are in the
midst
of the holiday season and it is reasonable to assume that a large
percentage
of the interested 802 constituency are unlikely to be following this
issue/debate.

Given the long timeframe for ITU even defining the requirements for
IMT-Advanced, I don't believe that there is a compelling argument that
the
subject PAR must be approved prior to the next plenary. This in itself
(the
lack of compelling necessity) would, per the explicit wording of the
P&P,
preclude the approval of the subject PAR by EC electronic ballot under
7.1.3.4, since it is clear from the language of 7.1.3.4 that the
provision
for electronic EC ballots is intended to be limited to exceptional cases
based on a clear necessity.

Given that 17.1 of the P&P states that "Any standards activity whose aim
is
to produce a Standard, Recommended Practice, or Guide must submit a PAR
the IEEE-SA Standards Board within six months of beginning work." I
don't
believe that 802.16 is precluded from "beginning work" in the area of
IMT-Advanced - work can begin, with a PAR following from the March 2007
plenary (I see no reason that the PAR cannot be "adjusted" to eliminate
any
objections to its approval then), thus there is no clear necessity for
the
immediate approval of a PAR that is still the subject of unresolved
controversy as expressed by the written concerns of several WGs, several
individuals, the concerns expressed verbally by several speakers from
the
floor at the November 200 closing EC meeting, and the procedural issues
that
have been raised.

Therefore, I maintain that approval of the subject PAR (or any other
PAR)
other than at the closing EC meeting at a plenary session is contrary to
the
P&P and I reserve the right to speak against the approval of the PAR at
NesCom and/or the SASB on that basis.

In closing, I reiterate my point that I making such a fuss only because
object to the way in which the EC, or at least some portion of it, seems
inclined to selectively apply our rules in the most restrictive possible
manner in the name of "the integrity of the process" in some instances,
but
NOT to apply the rules equally in other instances (the particulars seem
me, from my observation, to depend upon which interests are involved),
and I
think that that has to stop.

Regards,
Carl