Re: [802SEC] forwarding the amended 802.16m PAR to NesCom

Paul,

FYI, if this ballot counts, I vote APPROVE.

Pat,

Here is the complete text:

7.1.3.3 Voting at Meetings

Except where otherwise noted in this P&P, approval of an EC motion is
achieved if a simple majority of EC members approve the motion
(approve/(approve + disapprove)). The LMSC Chair only votes if his vote
can change the outcome of a vote. Proxy voting is not permitted.

The following actions have exceptional voting requirements:
* Approval of PARs and Drafts for forwarding to IEEE-SA shall require
approval by a majority of EC members present with voting rights.

-----------------------------------
Analysis,

While this is in the section 'voting at meetings' it notes that PARS
have 'exceptional voting requirements', not 'exceptional voting
requirements at meetings'.  This could be taken to mean (especially
given the term 'majority of EC members present' that approval can only
be in person).  We may not have treated it that way in the past, so
there is precedent for ignoring this possible interpretation.  But my
read would be that PARs should only be approved at meetings by a
majority of EC members present with voting rights.

I feel the cleanest way out is a teleconference.  IEEE rules expressly
allow them, and our rules don't prohibit them.  We've already
established precedent that they count as 'in person' meetings.

Mat

Matthew Sherman, Ph.D.
Senior Member Technical Staff
BAE Systems Network Enabled Solutions (NES)
Office: +1 973.633.6344
email: matthew.sherman@baesystems.com