From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List *****
[mailto:STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Roger B. Marks
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 5:55 PM
To: STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802SEC] +++10 Day EC Email Ballot (Closes no later than 22
January 2007)+++Motion regarding IEEE 802 reciprocal voting rights+++

Mike,

I vote Disapprove, because:

(a) The motion is inappropriate according to the P&P. We don't have
the right to pass a motion that would specify that material "be
included in the next revision of the LMSC P&P". That's not the
procedure for changing the P&P.

(b) We can't by simple motion temporarily override the P&P, which is
what the motion is trying to do.

(c) Although you tried to avoid creating "a new class of voters",
this language would do so. The P&P do not specify a class of people
with WG voting rights; they specify the class of people who are WG
members. Voting is one right held by those members. This language
would create an additional class.

I generally like the idea you are proposing, but I remain concerned
that it would seriously impact quorum requirements in the smaller
groups. I would prefer a rule that would offer such reciprocal
membership not automatically but only upon request. I would support
the initiation of P&P change ballot along these lines.

P.S. I don't understand the labeling of the slide. In what sense is
this an "802.18 Motion to SEC"?

Roger