Re: [802SEC] FW: [802SEC] Proposed 802 Chair's Guideline Pertaining to Patents Etc.

Colleagues,

In looking at the PatCom faq
http://standards.ieee.org/board/pat/faq.pdf
(thanks David for pointing it out), I find it covers the same ground
that has been put into the chair's guideline and I think it does so with
more clarity. For example, on the issue of whether the policy needs to
be read every day of a multi-day meeting:

<begin quote>
5. Our group gathers for several days during a single week. Does the
chair have to announce
the policy every day?

The Working Group Chair or his or her designee shall issue the call at
every Working Group
meeting. If a group is "meeting" for consecutive days and the attendance
is substantially the
same for each day of the gathering, the policy only needs to be read
once. If the chair plans
not to read or display the policy each day, then the chair must either
(a) ensure that the policy
or a URL for it has been sent out to all attendees prior to the meeting
(and is available in the
registration packet for any on-site registrants), or (b) announce each
day that the meeting is
subject to the patent policy as read or displayed on the first day.
Note, though, that this rule
applies separately to each "group" that is "meeting" during the week.
For example, if a
working group holds a meeting during the same week as its task group,
task force, and/or
study group, the chair of each of those groups must read or display the
policy at the
beginning of that group's first day of "meeting."
<end quote>

That language makes it clear that when an IEEE 802 WG meets then breaks
into TG/TF meetings, the policy is suppose to be read again at each
TG/TF meeting. It allows for distribution of the policy URL ahead of
time and at on-site registration to be used in place of annoucements
when the same group (WG, TG or TF) meets on additional days.

Rather than have a chair's guide that repeats but rewords the faq on
when the policy should be read, we should just reference questions 3
through 7 of the FAQ.

Regards,
Pat

P.S. David, I notice that the FAQ (which is only posted as a PDF) has
lots of text that looks like it is intended to have a link (in blue and
underlined) but there are no links. It looks like the pdf needs to be
recreated with links included.

***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** <STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org>
wrote on 21/06/2007 19:45:06:

> I'm not sure I'm interpreting what you are saying in the attached
> document correctly, but it doesn't seem to give any relief in the
> amount of time that will be taken presenting the patent policy slides.

> If any thing, it expands what is required depending on how "meeting"
> is interpreted. When my task group meets for two days during a
> plenary, it looks like it requires the full slide presentation at the
> beginning of the first day, then if each day is considered a
> "meeting", the URL slide needs to be shown at the beginning of each
> day. Or does the lunch break make the afternoon a new meeting?

> What happened to what we discussed about meetings with registration?
> It would seem just as effective, possibly more effective, to require
> that participants acknowledge that they have read the patent policy
> slide set material in order to complete registration. When this has
> been done, it should be enough at the meeting to show a condensed one
> page slide with URLs and the chair's statement described for online or

> teleconference
> meetings: "The chair shall also make a statement if any individual
> believes that patent claim(s)/patent application claim(s) might be or
> may become essential patent claims, that fact should be made known.
> The fact that this statements were made, and any responses that were
> given, specifically the patent claim(s)/patent application claim(s)
> and/or the holder of the patent claim(s)/patent application claim(s)
> that were identified (if any) and by whom, shall be duly recorded in
the minutes."

> The IETF has acknowledging their patent policy as part of the
> registration process.

802.