[802SEC] Review of Conditional Approval for RevCom

Folks,

I asked for an agenda item on this at the EC meeting this morning, but
removed it due to time constraints.

As I recall at the last Friday EC meeting, there was a lot of time spent
reviewing material relating to Conditional Approval of Draft Standard
submittals to RevCom.  I would say that we did not allocate sufficient
time on the agenda for those issues and that it jeopardized our ability
to complete other items on the agenda.

I didn't catch how many conditional approvals we are expecting this time
(Paul could you comment?).  Formally, the P&P reads on review of
conditional approvals:

Agenda Items and motions requesting conditional approval to forward when
the prior ballot has closed shall be accompanied by:

* Date the ballot closed

* Vote tally including Approve, Disapprove and Abstain votes

* Comments that support the remaining disapprove votes and Working Group

* Schedule for recirculation ballot and resolution meeting.

The time consuming part seems to be the review of comments.  While these
documents need to be available at the time of the motion, nothing says
they should not be available prior to the motion.  Can I suggest that
anyone planning to apply this procedure make at least the comment
database relevant to the motion available more than a day in advance,
and those who plan to examine the data bases in detail try and do so
prior to the closing EC meeting and only bring forward those specific
comments of concern to them?  Finally I would suggest that we try and
set some finite limits on discussion time for such agenda items and that
if we can't complete the review in a timely fashion that the question be
called or tabled?

Do people have any comments concerning these suggestions?

Thanks,

Mat

Matthew Sherman, Ph.D.
Engineering Fellow