From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List *****
[mailto:STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG] On Behalf Of Carl R. Stevenson
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2007 12:55 PM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Final venue choices for our March 8-13, 2009
Plenary Session for your review

Buzz,

Speaking for myself, I vote for the Rome location.

We've done Vancouver 2 or 3 times and while it's easier via-wise for
some of
our attendees than the US, it's still a North American venue and I think
that the EC should reject it in favor of the Rome location.  (I am
disappointed that several Asian venues apparently didn't work out.)

As a member of the EC and the SA Board of Governors, I don't believe
that
Vancouver truly meets our stated policy goals of "walking the walk" as
an
international SDO by holding 802 plenaries in non-North American venues.
Other groups in the SA do ... Why is it so difficult for us?

Having the "choice" between an (we know they are more expensive) EU (or
Asian) venue vs. Vancouver doesn't seem like a fair question when taken
in
the context of our policy goal. It puts us in the position of "choose
the
more expensive one and meet the goal or choose the cheaper one and
ignore/abandon the goal."

I am finding this situation increasingly unacceptable.  If you have any
immediate feedback, please e-mail me directly.

Regards,

Carl