Re: [802SEC] Final venue choices for our March 8-13, 2009Plenary Session for your review

Buzz,

I'm not sure why we would provide a refund on a "penalty" for not booking
a room in our room block ... As you said, people who do so are "indirectly"
(I would argue it's more "directly" than "indirectly) not paying their fair
share of the cost of the meeting space (whether we meet expected numbers or
exceed them), so why would we give them money back?

> So we have several options to adjust the parameters of the session to
> ensure we come in where we need to be budget-wise but it is already
> clear that it will be 2 to 3 times more expensive than your average NA
> session as Bob Heile has predicted.  If that is too much then
> we need to
> revisit the fundamental question:  "Is meeting budget more important
> than meeting location ???"         :-)

Other groups (OMA, 3GPP, 3GPP2, etc.) regularly meet in nNA venues. They
(and their memberships) don't seem to find it problematic at all.

If it's more expensive, (as we know it will be in terms of meeting cost)
that's simply a cost of doing business in terms of meeting our policy goal
of being a truly international SDO (this is also a goal of the SA, not just
of 802).

Meeting in NA exclusively because "it's cheaper" is, in my view, a cop-out -

and an inaccurate characterization.

The meeting registration fee may be less, but our EU and Asian colleagues
then
end up carrying all of the burden of the extra travel time, expense, and
"wear
and tear on personnel."  That is simply not fair. (and would not be fair,
even
if the meeting fees were equal regardless of venue)

It also fuels the perceptions of some, and the ability of those inclined to
so
assert, that we (and by extension, the IEEE-SA) are "a US-centric" body, not
truly international.

Personally, I believe that of our 3 plenaries, one should be in NA, one in
EU,
and one in Asia every year.  That would be fair.

(Please note that I say this as one who pays his travel expenses for these
meetings out of his own pocket ... I am not reimbursed by clients.  In other
words, cheaper meeting costs (registration, travel, time) would "flow
directly
to my bottom line," but I'm willing to incur the extra expense in order to
have us "be what we *should* be."

Regards,
Carl