From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List *****
[mailto:STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG] On Behalf Of Geoff Thompson
Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2007 6:32 AM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Fwd: IEEE-SA News Update for September 20, 2007

Bob-

Thanks for your input. I confess that I am a little put off by "the no
rules are being broken" responses. As the high level management
committee,
we are supposed to do a lot more than "just follow the rules". We are
supposed to have the judgement and discretion and do the right thing in
area not adequately covered by the rules.

I admit and realize that I was leaning a bit heavily on the "too
concerned"
side. Having said that, it is clear to me that in the spectrum that runs

from an ex-member of the EC all the way to the entire EC giving a panel
at
a 3rd party for-profit conference there is a point beyond which our
participation is a legitimate issue of business of the 802 EC. The
appearance of something being an EC or quasi-EC function is no different

from the audience side than a sanctioned one.

I continue to be concerned that this event was not even announced, much
less discussed on the EC reflector at all by the involved parties. I
really
hate learning about this stuff via a 3rd party.

Best regards,

Geoff