From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List *****
[mailto:STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG] On Behalf Of Bob O'Hara
(boohara)
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 2:43 PM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] +++EC Email Ballot+++Motion for electronic
distribution of standards to 802+++closes 10 OCT 2007

A few comments on the topic of this motion.

1. I have worked with Karen and, through her, with the rest of the IEEE
staff.

2. The only way that staff will allow the electronic distribution is if
it is done from IEEE servers.

3. The material will be identical to that which could be provided on a
CD-ROM, with the addition that it can be updated to include new
documents published after a CD-ROM is produced, i.e., there could be new
material available at each plenary session.

4. The format is still TBD.  It could be provided in a single, burnable
CD-ROM image that contains all the material and would be accessible only
once burned to a CD-R.  Alternatively, it could be provided in the
web-like form that is currently used on the CD-ROMs.  The alternative
format would allow download of single documents.

5. The registrant database would need to be made available to IEEE for
user authentication during the period that the downloads are available.

6. Since the material would be available only from IEEE servers, it
would require using the internet connection for the download.  This
might be able to be mitigated by local caching.

 -Bob