Re: [802SEC] Responses on venue for March 2009

Hi Carl,

To date I have no response from either 802.1 (Tony Jeffree, who is busy
taking a poll of his membership) and Bob Grow, who has not yet responded
for 802.3's membership.

If you will recall these were exactly the groups that chose to boycott
the London session because of high costs, so they are probably the
groups that are most likely to resist on the Rome session and that we
need to hear from the most before we commit to a full plenary.

We are all aware that the Wireless WGs, which commonly meet together,
have been much more willing to afford some more costly nNA venues for
interims.  By comparison, Steve Carlson has had a serious struggle
finding acceptable nNA venues for 802.3 & 802.1 because of the costs
involved.  So I believe we need to hear inputs from all of our WGs on
this matter before we make any commitments.  If we are going to lose
>25% of our regular attendees by trying to do Rome can we honestly call
it a full plenary session ???  Just because a majority of our members
may be able to justify the cost does not give us license to just ignore
a significant minority with lesser means.

As the US dollar continues to drop and other major currencies advance
against it, the economic penalty for trying to do nNA venues will surely
increase and make what began as an expensive venue all that more costly
thereby scaring even more attendees away.  These are serious concerns
that we need to consider carefully before we get locked in.  Your
suggestion of starting small and looking for bonuses if we exceed a
threshold sounds great, but it does not compute in the international
marketplace.  They expect you to block exactly what you will need and
take on the full penalties if you fail to produce.  If you start small
you run a very serious risk that by the time you discover that you need
more rooms and meeting space you cannot get them, and you wind up locked
into a meeting that absolutely will not work.  Are we ready for
Standing-Room-Only meetings yet ???  I don't think so....

I think Roger Marks was exactly right when he pointed out that the only
smart way to go was to have the help of local hosting Companies or
Organizations (or both), and that he is correct that there are several
benefits to this approach.  That is the approach that has worked so well
for the IETF in the past.  My concern is that they are now saying it is
getting harder and harder to find such hosts.

So let's wait until we've heard from all of our attendees and try to
choose a venue that will provide the most benefits for IEEE-802 as a
whole.  Blind adherence to an ill-considered policy, no matter how nobly
inspired, is not a rational approach.  We need to think this one through
carefully.

Thanx,  Buzz
Dr. Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
Boeing IT
PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM
Seattle, WA  98124-2207
Ph: (425) 373-8960    Fx: (425) 865-7960
Cell: (425) 417-1022
everett.o.rigsbee@boeing.com