From: Bob O'Hara (boohara) [mailto:boohara@CISCO.COM]
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007 1:41 PM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Interpretation of current P&P

I believe that the intent of the policy is to require WG approval for a
chair to serve more than 10 years, i.e, to be elected more than five
times or to be appointed to replace an elected chair and then be elected
more than four times.  I think the phrase "has served ... more than
eight years" is the key to determining this meaning.  The use of past
tense seems to allow the chair to be elected to five terms or to serve
out a partial term after being appointed and then be elected to four
more terms.  If the intent was to limit a chair to no more than four
complete terms, the text could easily have said that.

I agree with Carl that the text can be improved to make this meaning
clearer.

If Tony has been elected four times and you accept my reasoning above, I
think there is not a need for the WG to get involved in this mess at
this time.

 -Bob