Re: [802SEC] Interpretation of current P&P

Colleagues

If we are going to handle interpretations "the same way our WGs handle
interpretations"
Then we have to do the rest of process.
(I am not necessarily recommending this.)
i.e. publish those interpretations (I would suggest the back of the P&P)
See more text below

Geoff
At 10:53 AM 10/30/2007 , greenspana@BELLSOUTH.NET wrote:
 >All:
 >
 >Voting on an interpretation works for me as long as it is coupled with
clarifying the inerpretation that we come up with >in the P&P by changing
the wording.

--------------

 >> Unless Roberts really says such (I don't care enough to research whether
 >> it does), I believe that we should handle interpretations the same way
 >> our WGs handle interpretations: vote on a proposed interpretation.

However, it should be noted that a possible outcome of an interpretation
(by the IEEE Interpretation Process mandated for WGs) can be that the
governing text is flawed and ambiguous.

Please refer to the governing text below, copied from:
	http://standards.ieee.org/reading/ieee/interp/

Occasionally, questions may arise regarding the meaning of portions of
standards as they relate to specific applications. Such requests for
interpretations should ask for clarifications of the exact nature of the
contents of the standard.

Questions relating to such interpretations are reviewed and evaluated by a
balance of members representing the specific committee interests. This
officially formed interpretations subgroup creates and circulates a draft
interpretation among its members. It transmits a final interpretation to
the party initiating the request only after consensus has been achieved. he
interpretation is also given to the standards-developing committee to
consider addressing it in a supplement or the next revision to the standard.

Interpretations are issued to explain and clarify the intent of the
standard and are not intended to constitute an alteration to the original
standard or to supply consulting information. The interpretations subgroup
cannot make new rules to fit situations not yet covered in the standard,
even if the investigations of the subgroup lead it to conclude that the
requirement is incomplete or in error. Changes to the standard are made
only through revisions or supplements to the standard.

It is recognized that requests are frequently received that are partially
or totally requests for information rather than requests for an
interpretation. It is inappropriate to issue an official interpretation to
answer such requests. The interpretations subgroup may, however, find from
its research that the literal printing of the standards text is not
identical to that approved by the standards developers and may issue an
editorial correction as a part of its interpretation.