From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List *****
[mailto:STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG] On Behalf Of Roger B. Marks
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 18:12
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [802SEC] ISO/IEC vs ITU as "intergovernmental bodies"

Pat,

I am confident that you are correct and that the distinction is real.
ISO and IEC are private entities that take one member per country; those
members are not national governments, though in some cases they are
controlled by governments. ISO and IEC are not "intergovernmental
bodies."

ITU is a United Nations agency of which governments ("Member States")
are members. [It does include private-sector members as well, but I
don't think this matters to this discussion.]

Roger