Re: [802SEC] Chair re-election - proposed interpretation/rules change

Tony/Colleagues-

I agree with Tony that the language needs to be tightened up.

While I hesitate to have "special" voting rules instead of just referring
to one of our existing procedures, I believe there is a fatal flaw in what
Tony has proposed.

Our original intention was to have term limits be the default situation.
The 75% vote was intended to allow things to be overridden by a highly
affirmative action (a principle which I support). I believe Tony's proposal
waters that down significantly in its current proposed form.

The problem of 75% of Y/(Y+N) is that those not voting are weight in the
affirmative. In this particular case (a) the bias is in the opposite of our
alleged default and (b) it takes a lot of courage to stick your hand up to
say you hate the current chair (hard enough to brash American, effectively
impossible for some other cultures).

Therefore, I propose that the method of vote should be (from Tony's list
below):
 >	- 75% of the voting membership that are present in the room.

I acknowledge that does not solve the problem completely, voters can still
abstain by leaving the room. This could be solved (perhaps) by instead using:
 >	- 75% of the voting membership of the WG (whether in the room or not).

There is a problem with too though. Many (most?) WGs don't have anything
near 100% of the voting members show up at a plenary. This effectively
raises the bar significantly (too far in my opinion). We could use 50% of
the voting membership on a vote taken at the plenary but that has a
potential unevenness problem between WGs.

Therefore, my choice remains:
 >	- 75% of the voting membership that are present in the room.

Appropriate fruit for discussion during a P&P meeting

Best regards,

Geoff