From: Andrew Myles (amyles) [mailto:amyles@cisco.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:18 PM
To: Rigsbee, Everett O; Herbert Ruck
Cc: dawns@facetoface-events.com; stds-802-sec@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: RE: [802SEC] Comment on non-North-America venue

G'day all

I just have to respond to the comment from Herbert that, "With the weak
US Dollar visiting the US becomes cheap for visitors like China. It is
very convenient and advantageous for "foreign" members to attend
meetings in the US."

This argument would have merit if IEEE 802 had held many meetings in
other countries when the US dollar was "strong". They did not do so, and
so the argument has no merit.

I would also note that it is always more convenient (and much cheaper)
for
Chinese members to have meetings in Beijing and not in North America.

In fact, if cost was the only factor, it would actually make sense to
hold all meetings in Beijing because costs in China are very low. The
fact we do not hold all meetings in Beijing tells me we accept cost is
not the only factor.

Andrew Myles