Re: [802SEC] Rome decison

G'day Tony

My personal view on the topic of nNA meetings is that 802 and the 802
WGs should aim to have 2/3 of their meetings in nNA locations (like
IETF, WFA, etc), but that the Rome proposal is very poor because of the
room costs.

However, the point of my e-mail was actually an objection to the
assertions, and the accompanying implied threats, that the WG Chairs
have to reflect the view of their TG.

I agree that we cannot validly consider the survey to be equivalent to a
"direction". However, I was just pointing out that the issue was not as
clear cut as some might have thought.

This is obviously a controversial topic. I would suggest that if Rome is
ultimately selected then the EC provide their rationale to the 802
community.

Whatever is decided, the EC needs to develop a plan to improve the
perception of the IEEE as an "international" SDO. This might involve
regular meetings around the world or it might involve something else,
but something needs to be done.

Andrew

BTW My other views related to location are:
* Locations that are primarily holiday destinations should be avoided
because they gives the impression that standards are a "holiday club",
ie Hawaii, Cancun, Fiji, Santorini, Mauritius, Cairns etc should never
be chosen
* Locations should be easily accessible. One measure of accessibility
might be that they can be reached in one plane hop from San Francisco
(which I would guess is the "mode" of our attendance)