Re: [802SEC] FYI email on critical network equipment purchases

Pat,

I think we're ok here. As I see it, the ruling principle in effect comes
from the IEEE FOM (found at
http://www.ieee.org/portal/cms_docs_iportals/iportals/aboutus/whatis/fin
opsmanual.pdfrequirement in case you're really bored). Section 11.3.A.4
states: "The procurement of capital items, including equipment,
furniture, property, etc., with a value in excess of USD 1,500, is
contingent upon its approval in the IEEE organizational unit's annual
budget." It goes on to talk about how such assets need to be tracked and
reported (which we do annually via the famous L50-S).

Our budget allows for $15,000 of equipment expenses per plenary session
though we rarely reach that level. This time, we may well come very
close. Things seem to be failing at a rather alarming rate for some
reason.

I too am anxious to see a proper RFP per your explanation below (that
doesn't specify brands but functions). And that will be done in the case
of the larger network refresh project we introduced in Atlanta.

But in the case of the servers and 8-port swicthes, we need to act
quickly if we are to avoid significant productivity hits at the upcoming
interim(s) as well as the March plenary. So I have asked that VeriLAN
secure multiple bids (including IEEE's prefered source) for the
equipment as spec'ed, but forgo the formal RFQ process based on this
emergency situation. And we will stay within the budgeted amount.

I hope this makes sense. But if not please advise.

By the way, this is a great justification for leasing infrastructure as
opposed to owning it (no asset to approve, procure, store, ship, insure,
depreciate, maintain, replace, etc). But invariably that must be
balanced by the economic fact that economically leasing can be quite
expensive (if not impossible in the case of specialized network gear).
Unfortunately, there's no such thing as free lunch.

john