From: Stuart J. Kerry
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Cc: p.nikolich@ieee.org ; 'Bob O'Hara (boohara)' ; 'WORSTELL, HARRY R (HARRY R)'
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 3:35 PM
Subject: FW: [802SEC] preliminary tally +++Motion to amend March 2009 venue from Rome IT to Vancouver BC+++urgent--please cast your vote quickly+++open: 26NOV07

Paul,

Not wanting to start any comments on this issue, especially as others who are more eloquent have already had some lengthy debates. I would like to give some rational first.

Based on the facts that the survey that was posted to all attendees at the Atlanta Plenary session by the EC, as well as posted directly on the 802.11 WG reflector, all of the 802.11 WG participants and membership had the opportunity to provide input. The 802.11 participants in the poll responded to the poll with the following results 48(Rome), 65 (Vancouver), and 1 Abstain.

On January 13th, 2005, the Executive Committee email ballot motion "... that beginning calendar year 2008, at least one 802 plenary session shall be held outside of North America in each calendar year" passed. This directed that International plenary venues are to be sought, with emphasis on Non-North American locations. The future meeting locations that are now posted up through the end of 2010 have NO Non-North American destinations. In fact the EC has been debating other locations for the coming years for some time now but has not been given a document showing the locations being discussed for reference, possibly an oversight.

The 802.11 Working Group over many meetings have concluded that we are an international organization with international representation and have provided international locations in our interim meetings. We, the Executive Committee, must therefore be responsive to this fact. What is my Working Group membership to think if the EC ignores these facts?

With reference to the locations debate, more information came to light after the Friday closing Executive Committee meeting's presentations and motion. In fact, most of the new information came via the lively email debates. It was revealed that Rome, with its limited amenities locally, meeting room sizes, accommodation, cost, not to mention "Mad Dogs" was not an ideal location. The latter, of course ("Mad Dogs"), I may well have been able to live with, especially as "Mad Dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid-day Sun".

Vancouver, on the other hand, is a venue which is a known location, across two hotels closely located but is NOT Non-North American.

I would like to remind you of an incident in the past which forced us to provide Vancouver as a meeting location. This was due to multiple accommodation options at lower cost for attendees that lead to a major deficit in room nights therefore we did not meet our commitments at the official hotels.

This now leads me onto my vote. With the above considerations and other information now available, I am now disposed to vote approve, due to the limited options presented.

/ Stuart

_______________________________

Stuart J. Kerry

Chair, IEEE 802.11 WLANs WG